On August 5, the EFCC wrote to First Bank and instructed it to place a Post No Debit restriction on Osun State's statutory allocation account. The letter cited an investigation, running since March, into roughly N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds, and Federation Account Allocation Committee money the commission believes was mishandled. Ten days before Osun voters were due to choose between Governor Ademola Adeleke, seeking a second term on the Accord platform, and the candidate of the president's own party, the account that pays civil servants and runs the state government stopped moving.

Adeleke called it unconstitutional. His attorney general, Oluwole Jimi Bada, said the EFCC has power to investigate an account but not to freeze one without a court order, and filed suit at the Federal High Court in Abuja seeking N2 billion in damages, a declaration that the freeze was unlawful, and an order compelling First Bank to restore access. The suit named the EFCC, its chairman, and the bank as defendants.

Then something unusual happened. President Bola Tinubu personally intervened and ordered the EFCC to vacate the freeze. He said he was embarrassed, not by the commission doing its job, but by the timing, ten days before a governorship election, which he said risked creating the appearance of federal interference in a state contest. For a sitting president to publicly overrule his own anti corruption agency, in the middle of an active court case brought against that same agency, is not a small thing. It should have been the end of the story.

N11B

Ecology, Intervention, and FAAC funds under EFCC investigation since March 2026

3

Osun government accounts now confirmed frozen, not the one first reported

72 Hours

Legal limit on freezing an account without a court order, per the 2022 Court of Appeal ruling

N2B

Damages Osun is seeking from the EFCC and First Bank at the Federal High Court

It was not the end of the story. Sahara Reporters later obtained documents showing the commission had actually frozen three accounts, not one. Alongside the First Bank account the public already knew about, the EFCC had also placed restrictions on two joint allocation accounts held with Zenith Bank, using a court order that had not previously been disclosed. Nobody had corrected the public record on this until an outside newsroom went looking for it.

And here is the part I keep returning to. Tinubu said, in his own statement, that he understood the EFCC had obtained a court order on August 5. Premium Times reported that the actual letter the EFCC sent to First Bank, the one that triggered the whole affair, did not cite a court order at all. The commission's own spokesperson then defended its right to freeze the account without first getting one, pointing to the same rule Femi Falana later cited on television, that the EFCC can impose a Post No Debit restriction for up to 72 hours on suspicion alone, and only needs a court order if it wants to keep the restriction in place beyond that window.

A 72 hour rule only protects anyone if someone outside the agency enforcing it can confirm, in real time, whether it was actually followed. Right now, on the public record, nobody can.

A 72 hour rule only protects anyone if someone outside the agency enforcing it can confirm, in real time, whether it was actually followed. Right now, on the public record, nobody can. The President said he believed an order existed. The commission's own communications suggest one did not exist at the moment the freeze began, and were later defended on the basis that one was not strictly required at that stage. A different court order, covering different accounts, surfaced days later through investigative reporting rather than through anything the commission chose to disclose. Three separate accounts of the story, told by three sources who should all have had access to the same facts, do not agree with each other.

Falana's defence of the commission rests on real legal ground. The Court of Appeal did rule, in 2022, that the EFCC can restrict an account for 72 hours without judicial authorisation, reversing a 2019 Federal High Court decision out of Benue that had found the commission lacked any such power at all and had awarded N50 million in damages against it. The Supreme Court, in 2024, went further and affirmed that the EFCC, the ICPC, and the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit can investigate the accounts of any organisation at any level of government. That is settled law. Nobody serious is disputing that the EFCC has the underlying authority here.

What is not settled, because nobody with the standing to settle it has actually done so, is whether the specific sequence of events in Osun complied with the specific limits that same body of law places on that authority. The Osun lawsuit could have answered that question. A judge could have looked at the EFCC's internal timeline, the actual date any court order was sought and granted, and the actual scope of what it covered, and ruled on whether the 72 hour standard was honoured. Instead, the controversy was resolved by a presidential statement, issued outside the courtroom where the question was already pending, and the underlying facts the lawsuit was designed to establish were never placed on the public record in a way anyone can independently check.

An anti corruption agency that can be overruled by a single presidential statement is not obviously independent. An anti corruption agency whose own account of events keeps changing after the fact is not obviously accountable. Nigeria appears to have both problems attached to the same case.

An anti corruption agency that can be overruled by a single presidential statement is not obviously independent. An anti corruption agency whose own account of events keeps changing after the fact is not obviously accountable. Nigeria appears to have both problems attached to the same case, and I do not think either one cancels the other out. Adeleke's supporters are entitled to worry that a federal agency froze a state government's payroll account ten days before he faced voters. Institutionalists are equally entitled to worry that the President can apparently instruct the agency meant to be free of political direction to reverse a decision with a single public statement, and that the agency complied within the same news cycle.

This is the same shape I keep finding in this newsletter, wearing a new uniform each time. A budget line for an agency that did not legally exist. A recovered asset with no register tracking what happened to it. Vehicles carrying real government plates that should never have been issued. Now an account freeze where even the President cannot say with confidence, on the public record, whether the specific legal step required to justify it was actually taken before or after the fact. Each time, the confirmation that should exist automatically only shows up after a journalist, a lawmaker, or an aggrieved businessman forces the question, and even then it often arrives partial, contested, or contradicted by the next document somebody digs up.

Osun votes in two days. Whatever the outcome, the specific legal question the state's lawsuit raised, whether the EFCC had lawful authorisation before it froze the first account on August 5, has not actually been answered by anyone with the power to answer it. It was overtaken by a presidential directive instead. That may be the politically convenient outcome for everyone involved. It is not the same thing as the public actually finding out what happened.